Saturday, January 29, 2011

ABCDiet Jour Six

7:40 in the morning. On a Saturday. When I've been sick. Why the hell did I wake up so early? Let's see, I got 8+ hours of sleep last night, plus all that sleep I got during the day... but why? OMG I have to go to the bathroom!

I am walking out the door when a voice stops me. "Large Coke Zero caught up to ya, love?" Ana is laughing. "I don't think you're dehydrated anymore."
"Ha, Ha." I mutter sarcastically. "Yeah, I'll be right back. Then we'll hit the scales."
"If only we could hit the gym today." Ana sighs as I walk across the hall to the bathroom. "You really need to get your driver's license."

A few minutes later we have relocated from my bathroom to my mom's bathroom where the scale is.

"Congratulations!" Ana pats my back briefly, "1.2 pounds lost instead of the usual solid 1!"
"I know!" I grin at her as I look up from the screen. "I'm pretty proud of that."
"Who knows though," Ana looks at the huge number on the little red box, "maybe you could have lost 2 whole pounds if you had drunk green tea."

Soon, we are in the kitchen, and I am opening the pantry. I reach to the top shelf, and pull down a mixed box of Special K snack bars. I look through the box trying to decide which flavor to eat. Ana is sitting on the counter as usual kicking her feet back and forth. I pull out the chocolate pretzel flavor. I look over it, and decide I am getting tired of chocolatey breakfasts. I slide it pack into the box, and pull out a strawberry one. Strawberry is just to typical. It's good, but I don't really want strawberry. As I put it back I notice an orange colored wrapper, and take it from the box. Peach berry!

"That looks un-boring." Ana looks at me helpfully.
"Yeah." I shrug and put the rest of the box back on the top shelf. "I think I'll eat this one."
"That's pretty good." Ana says as she slides off the counter, "90 Calories."

A few hours later, I am back in the kitchen. I have done calculations and figure If I eat a bunch at lunch (he he that rhymes!) then my parents won't notice that I'm not eating. I open the refrigerator and Ana hands me the box of eggs. "1 egg is only 70 calories!" She smiles, "Plus it's got a lot of protein."
"And that will keep me feeling full right?" I take an egg out of the carton and hand the rest back to her.
"Exactly." She has her head back in the fridge, then she closes the door and hands me a bag of baby spinach. "This will help keep you full too. 25 Calories for 2 cups, and lots of fiber and antioxidants."

I reach into the cupboard and pull out a large square plate. I grab the fat free, 0 Calorie olive oil cooking spray and spritz the plate before I crack the egg into it, stir it a little and put it in the microwave. Next, I find a measuring cup and get exactly 1 serving: 2 cups of the dark green leaves. The microwaves beeps that it has finished cooking, and I open the door and sprinkle some of the leaves onto it.

"It still needs something." I say looking at my egg sadly. "Any ideas?"
Once again, Ana dives into the fridge, and pulls out a canister of powdered Parmesan cheese. "1 teaspoon is 10 calories!" She offers the container to me and adds, "It'll probably satisfy your cheese craving from last night as well."
"That's true." I admit, "I wish regular cheese had fewer Calories."
"That would be nice." Ana smirks at me and says,  "I was afraid you were going to binge on those cheese-stuffed bread sticks from school."
"What?" I say in mock-innocence, "I have broken up with Bosco Sticks!"
"Well," She rolls her eyes, "That's what you said last time."
"Hey now," I say in fake offense, "Gimme a break. I haven't eaten them all semester."
"Yeah..." once again, she rolls her eyes. "All 2 weeks of it?"

I take a teaspoon out of the silverware drawer and measure out 1 teaspoon of cheese. I sprinkle some onto the egg, and put the rest on the leftover spinach. Next, I grab the pepper grinder and put pepper on both the egg and extra spinach. I decide to eat the egg first. I fold it in half taco-style and walk into the room where my mom is checking the email on her laptop. I make sure that my mom, dad, and sisters see me eating my omelet-taco.

"Good girl!" Ana praises my little charade, "Now they'll think you are eating a lot!"
"That was the plan." I say taking the last bite of my food. "Now for the salad."
"No dressing." Ana warns, "Especially not ranch."
"I know!" I look at the bottle in the fridge disgustedly. "Its so fatty!"
"And you are what you eat." Ana chides, "So don't eat fatty things unless you want to be a fatty."

I close the refrigerator door again, unable to find any sort of dressing under 5 Calories. I look around the kitchen and an I idea occurs to me. I pick up the olive oil spray again, and spray the top layer of leaves. I use my fork to stir it all around. Not only will the oil moisten the leaves, but it will stick the cheese and pepper to them as well.

"What's with you and olive oil today?" Ana looks at me surprised.
"Well, the Italians eat lots of olive oil," I say innocently, "And the Italians live forever. They never die, they just shrink into little rasin-sized people and run the mafia."
Ana looks at me, unsure of what to think, then bursts out laughing. "You," She says, still laughing, "You should be an entertainer."
"That's the idea." I say, "I want to be a singer and an actress."
""Well, love," She whispers, wrapping her thin, beautiful arms around me, "I will help you become thin and beautiful enough to make your dreams come true."
"I hope you're right." I sigh, and walk into the living room again to call attention to my salad-eating.

As soon as I sit down next to the older of my younger sisters, she looks at me and says, "God, Kerry! You're such a fatty! You've been eating all day!"
"Don't be rude." My mother scolds her, then turns to me, "Kerry is that olive oil on your salad?"
"Yep!" I smile pleased that I have thoroughly made them notice my food, "Its really good actually."
"Barvo!" Ana says to me, "Or should I say: Très bien! Oui. Vous préférez le français."
I giggle a little bit at Ana and thankfully my family doesn't notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment